2.26.2012

ROADBUMP

I'll start with the bad news.  While on my walk, I took a spill and face planted on the sidewalk.  My sunglasses cut my face between my eyes and I got serious road rash on my nose, lip, the back of my left hand and both palms.  I bruised both knees and my left elbow. 

The good news is that I was only half-block from home when I fell; a neighbor came to my aid, helped me clean up my bloody face, made me an ice pack and drove me home; my nose is not broken and my teeth are all intact!

Bruce got home and took me to the ER where I was evaluated and stitched up (5 tiny stitches) and send home to heal.

Here is a photo of my face when I got home from ER last night.

 


I am very thankful that my injuries are relatively minor...no broken bones or injuries with long term repercussions...it could have been much, much worse.

Today I feel sore all over from the fall and have been taking some OTC pain relievers and a heating pad for my back. 

I may be back tread-milling it on Tuesday...doing at least hill climbs.  Right now my face hurts to smile, frown and even chew, so running sprints on the treadmill may be too much jostling for a few days.

I have to get my stitches out by Thursday to keep the stitches from creating more of a scar than the wound will.  The ER physician made 5 tiny stitches to minimize the scar. 

I know that working out is supposed to be a healthy thing, but this is the second time it hasn't worked out all that well for me... (remember my fall down the stairs on the way to the hotel gym in Nashville a year ago?)

Despite this setback, I will continue to work out and press forward on this journey to better health.

I'm working hard for my goals...and now I have the scars to prove it!

1 comment:

Summer Girl said...

I thought you were going to give me some good news there too! WellI suppose the neighbor helping you was good news. Bruce is going to ban you from anything but water aerobics! :) I am so sorry this put a glitch in your work out regime I know you were feeling good cruising right along. Just get healed up so you can come out here and use my treadmill! Love your poor bruised up face!