5.20.2011

SUYL-- CORONADO GAZPACHO

I am playing along with Kelly at Kelly's Korner for 'Show Us Your Life' this week.  The topic this week is Main Dish Recipes.

Since summer is quickly approaching, I wanted to share a favorite summer main dish that we love at our house. 

Add some fresh bread or tortilla chips (which is what I serve it with) and you have a delicious summer dinner that is perfect for those hot summer nights that no one wants to cook anything.

For the meat lovers in your family, you can always serve this with some fish or chicken on the grill, too.  For me, it's a perfect dinner just as it is.

It's easy, refreshing and healthy!  I have tweaked this recipe from the one my cousin sent me.  And I want to give credit where credit is due:  the original recipe comes from the Houston Junior League Cookbook.

CORONADO GAZPACHO


1/2 cup olive oil (use less if you want to less calories)
1/4 cup lemon juice (feel free to use more if you prefer)
6 cups tomato juice -- This is 1- 46 oz. can, but I use the 64 oz. bottle of Campbell’s Tomato Juice. That way I can make a half recipe if I want to and I will have tomato juice in a plastic container to use for a future recipe.


1/4 cup finely minced red onion -- I use more onion than this
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cups finely minced celery
1/8 teaspoon Tabasco (I usually add 5-10 shakes of Tabasco--it is not hot.  Use more if you prefer some heat and less if Tabasco scares you!)
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 green peppers, finely chopped
2 cucumbers, peeled and diced
1 avocado, cubed (or more if you love avocado like we do!)


Tortilla chips on the side

Beat olive oil and lemon together.

Stir in tomato juice, onion, tomatoes, celery, green peppers, cucumbers, Tabasco, salt and pepper.


Taste: add more seasoning if desired.


Chill at least 3 hours before serving. The avocados should be served separately as an accompaniment for the soup. I just add everything together in a large pitcher, chill and serve.


Serves 8-10. 


Enjoy!

1 comment:

Farmer Gal said...

I have to tell you, I've never had gazpacho, but this looks delicious! I may have to get the ingredients and give it a try this weekend!